Our customers have spoken – the industry is changing. EMT simulations are no longer focused on small areas of the grid, and the advent of parallel processing has allowed us to expand to larger networks. PSCAD V5 will include new functionalities and be fully automated through the embedded Python scripting language interface. With most of our existing and familiar features refactored to function more efficiently, PSCAD V5 will enhance the user’s overall experience.
New features and enhancements will include:
- Sparse Matrix Solution (EMTDC): A newer sparse solution, which will be beneficial when solving larger subsystems, is implemented. The new solution is automatically utilized if the number of nodes in a subsystem is over 200 (default).
- Modified, Augmented Nodal Analysis (MANA) Algorithm (EMTDC): Voltage/Current dependent voltage/current source models are implemented using the MANA algorithm. MANA is used only if dependent sources are used in a project.
- Multiple Time Step PNI (EMTDC)*: A transmission line model that can link two projects running at different time steps is implemented. This functionality will be available as a part of the intermediate library.
- New Master Library Models (EMTDC):
o MMC Model Library
o Phase-Domain Synchronous Machine
o Single-Phase Induction Machine
o Z-Domain (Discretized) Controls
o 1-Phase, Multi-Winding (5-12), Transformer
o 3/5-Limb, Duality-Based Transformer
o Hysteresis Reactor
o TRV Envelope Generator
o Harmonic Signal Generator
o Pick-Up, Drop-Out Timer
o Clark/Inverse Clark Transform
o Change Detector
o Dead-Band Controller
o Scale Changer
o Complex Conjugate
o Electrical Phase Tap
- Stability enforcement of frequency-dependent transmission lines and cable models (LC program): A passivity enforcement algorithm based on constrained optimization via spectral residue perturbation of propagation function has been implemented to ensure the stability of the simulation.
- Interaction between overhead lines and cables (LC program): It is now possible to study mutual coupling between overhead lines and aerial or underground pipes and also between overhead lines and underground cables with details using the generalized cable model.
- Wire Drawing Enhancements: Includes: Rubber Banding, Snap-To-Grid and Wire Jumper Display.
- Automation: Embedded Python Scripting with Recording: Automation using the Python scripting language is embedded in the software, and is included with as part of installation. Scripts are maintained within a scripting pane, and scripts may be saved as part of any workspace. User actions are recordable to produce scripts automatically.
- Electrical Blackbox: Blackbox now supports any page modules containing a combination of controls and electric networks; full support of global substitutions with the option to bring them out as input parameters; retention of inner module definitions.
- Communication Fabric (ComFab): Inter-application, communications control architecture. Supports three types of communication interfaces: The legacy TCP/IP (default), Shared Memory and Network Direct (i.e. RDMA over InfiniBand).
- Parallel Multiple Run (PMR): Perform multiple runs simulations in parallel.
- EMTDC Binary Output File Format: EMTDC output file format and handling has been completely overhauled. All EMTDC output now exists in a single binary file. This provides many benefits including ultra-fast and efficient data handling, especially when dealing with large amounts of output.
- Global Substitutions Redesign: Includes a new global substitutions pane, alternate global substitution values (or sets of values) when running simulation sets, and import/export from text files.
- Enhanced Parameter Grid: Includes support for buses, transmission lines, simulation sets and sticky notes; results may be filtered by parameter category page; disabled parameters (instance-based) are displayed as such; components part of a disabled or invisible layer, will not appear; undo/redo; import/export from text files.
- Redesigned Component Wizard: Includes fully sizeable box graphic, flexible port connection placement, quick access data view, language interface to either FORTRAN, C or MATLAB, retention of the most recent component.
- Layer Enhancements: Includes custom layers.
- Transmission Line and Cable Sliding Faults: Perform sliding fault studies using the new tandem lines feature.
- Quick Component Enable/Disable: Disable/enable components with a single click. All V5 projects now come with an inherent disabled layer for this purpose.
- Component Grouping: Combine collections of individual components into a cohesive group that can then be moved, copied, pasted, mirrored, flipped or rotated as a single entity.
- Smart Paste: When objects are copied, all potential information is included in the clipboard so as to decide on how best to paste the object, depending on the context. Also includes easy paste to external programs, layer support, seed names, multi-select copy transfer.
- Component Graphics Editor Overhaul: Includes updated graphics colour palette; full font support for text elements; new collection of adjustable shapes.
- Multiple Language Support in Sticky Notes (Unicode): Users may use any known alphabet in sticky notes (ex. cyrllic, kanji, etc.).
- COMPLEX Signals: Full support for control signals of complex type (includes support in wires, ports, import/export tags, radio links).
- General Co-simulation Interface: General interface that can be used to develop specific interfaces with other programs (ex. PSS/E).
- External Resources File Branch: The resources branch provides a means for managing all resource files related to a specific project. It encapsulates the project settings fields and the file reference component.
- Simulation Set Functionality Improvements: Includes project settings override, layer settings override, global substitutions set select, enable/disable set, parameter grid support, force re-build, ability to view all multiple run data in PSCAD, other miscellaneous options.
- New Parameter Editor Design: Includes category page tree-based view panel, associated Python script-based display window.
- Animated Graphics Patch: All problems related to animated graphics have been fixed!
- Undo/Redo Expansion: Undo/redo has been expanded to include the parameter grid, component definition graphics editor, workspace definition schematic branch.
- Project Navigation Enhancements: Includes Navigation Bar, Bookmarks, Hyperlinks and Project Link components.
- New and Improved Macros: Full macro support has been added to sticky notes and the consolidator. Several new macros have been added.
- Search Upgrades: Added regular expression search (RegEx), which allows for fully customized searching.
- Power Added to the Arrow Keys: Includes nudge, traverse the workspace tree, Shift and Ctrl key functions when selecting text.
- Graph Flyby Display Improvements: Flybys windows for graphs now contain far more information.
- Table Parameter Improvements: The table parameter has been overhauled.
- Status Bar Overhaul: The status bar has been overhauled.
- Workspace Tree Multi-Select: Includes the definition branch, simulation sets and simulation tasks.
- New Script Directives: #COMPONENTID and $#Type.
- Component Tab Scrolling: Scroll through components using the tab key.
- Output Channel Limit Increased: Increased from 2,048 to 65,536.
- Schematic Tab Enhancements: Close all, close all to the right, etc.
- Enerplot: Offline plotting tool.
- Powerflow File Import: Referred to as PRSIM. This tool imports PSS/E or PowerFactory database files for viewing and optional conversion to PSCAD files. Includes the Network Equivalents (NETEQ) utility.
- PSCAD Initializer: Set up the proper power flow conditions for a PSCAD case.